Sports

Romelu Lukaku Reflects on Challenging Napoli Tenure, Sees Future in Fenerbahce

Romelu Lukaku, 33, has openly criticized his recent time at Napoli, calling it the “worst year” of his life. The Belgian striker, now a new signing for Fenerbahce, spoke candidly following a Champions League playoff match against Lyon, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Lukaku’s last season in Serie A was riddled with challenges. The forward encountered several personal and professional issues, including the death of his father, which affected his performance and morale. He also faced setbacks from a slow recovery from a right thigh muscle injury and a dispute with the club over his decision to recover in Belgium.

His relationship with Napoli fans soured, with many siding with coach Antonio Conte in the disagreements. Gradually sidelined at the Italian club, Lukaku accepted an offer from Fenerbahce, seeking to rejuvenate his career in Turkey.

In comments to Belgian television shortly after his debut for Fenerbahce, Lukaku addressed critics questioning his physical condition, suggesting their remarks were part of a smear campaign. “The claim that I am out of shape is simply false. They probably said it in Italy to sabotage me, just as they have done before. I’m 100% fit to play,” he asserted in response to Rudi Garcia, the former Belgian national coach, who had previously stated that Lukaku was no longer impactful against defenders.

Regarding his departure from Napoli, Lukaku was succinct yet clear: “Why did I choose to leave? I heard things, and choices were made… That’s it. It was better for me to leave. It was the worst year of my life.” During his time with Napoli, he won two trophies, including Serie A and the Italian Supercup, both in 2025, netting 15 goals and providing 11 assists in 45 appearances.

Now at Fenerbahce, Lukaku views this new chapter as a chance to compete at a high level. “This experience in Turkey is something new. It’s the best solution for me; I want to continue playing at a high level. I hope to honor these two years. After that, I plan to return home. I’ve always said I want to keep playing until 2030, including with the national team. Then, it will be the end of my career,” he expressed.

Despite only playing eight minutes in his debut, the Belgian remains patient. “I trained intensively for just four days. It’s a path I need to follow. It will take time, and I need to earn my place. With age, we become more patient,” he concluded, praising the warm welcome he received in Turkey.

With the first leg tied at 1-1, the outcome of the Champions League qualification will be decided next week on August 26 against Lyon.

Ashley Davis

I’m Ashley Davis as an editor, I’m committed to upholding the highest standards of integrity and accuracy in every piece we publish. My work is driven by curiosity, a passion for truth, and a belief that journalism plays a crucial role in shaping public discourse. I strive to tell stories that not only inform but also inspire action and conversation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button